Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.Frank Lloyd Wright
About the Park
Indiana Sand Dunes National Park will enchant you along its 15 miles of sand-filled shoreline on the southern tip of Lake Michigan. Popular activities include hiking the dunes, flying kites, birdwatching, or swimming; there is much to do in one of the newest National Parks. There is also the adjacent Indiana Dunes State Park, which is also worth a visit while in the area.
Check out the view of the park!
Live it up!
Best Things to do in the Park
- Visit the Indiana Dunes Visitor Center for maps, events, and other park information
- Enjoy Indiana Dunes State Park as well and take the 3 Dunes hiking challenge
- Enjoy some time on the 18 miles of sandy beaches and just relax
- Go for a bike ride on 75 miles of park trails
- Get out on the water in a canoe, kayak, or sailboat on Lake Michigan
- Try out some dune buggies on the sand dunes
- Birdwatching is a great activity for any of the park trails
We were so excited to see Indiana Dunes on our first day that our better judgment gave way to a wrong decision; take our Airstream to the park to get a quick view of the dunes. Unfortunately, we took a path to the beach and had little way to turn around. Thankfully, we found some folks who allowed us to take up all the room on the road to make the turn.
Size of Park
There is the Indiana Dunes State Park adjacent to the National Park.
Explore another National Park in the USA
We’ve visited 51 of the 63 parks. Check out our other guides.