NEW RIVER GORGE
As those who have spent time in West Virginia know, this is truly a special place.Oliver Luck
About the Park
Our nation’s newest park, New River Gorge National Park, is a wild and wonderful whitewater river flowing through a deep canyon in West Virginia. The New River is oddly named since it is one of the oldest rivers in North America. The park also has the magnificent New River Gorge Bridge, the highest and longest steel arch bridge in the Western Hemisphere.
Check out the view from the gorge!
Live it up!
Best Things to do in the Park
- Go to the Canyon Rim Visitor Center for information about New River Gorge National Park
- Do the ”Bridge Walk”, where you walk the length of the New River Gorge Bridge under the roadway on a catwalk nearly 900 feet above the river below. It was the highlight for us!
- Take the old Fayette Station Road down to river level and great views of the bridge from below
- Visit the park on ”Bridge Day” (The third Saturday of October each year) and watch BASE jumpers and repellers do amazing things off the bridge
- Go whitewater rafting on the New River
The highlight of our trip was doing the fantastic ”Bridge Walk” on the New River Gorge Bridge. It is a walk just under the roadway on a 24-inch wide catwalk, roughly 800 feet above the river, all while safely clipped into a safety cable. It was an unforgettable experience for us. Check out the video here from our New River Gorge National Park.
Size of Park
This is the newest National Park in the United States.
Explore another National Park in the USA
We’ve visited 51 of the 63 parks. Check out our other guides.