The national park is the best idea America ever had.James Bryce
About the Park
Yellowstone National Park is one of the largest national parks and sits on top of a giant dormant volcano. This unique and fantastic park has more geysers, hot springs, and thermal features than any other place in the world; this vast park’s canyons, lakes, and waterfalls add to the intrigue of visiting. It is a bucket list National Park and should be high on your list to see.
Check out the view from the park!
Live it up!
Best Things to do in the Park
- See the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and go to Artist Point and take a picture you will always remember
- Seeing Old Faithful is a must do. It happens about every 90 minutes and just follow the crowds for timing
- Go to see herds of bison in Lamar Valley
- Take a short hike throughout Mammoth Hot Springs to see the steaming hot water spilling over travertine terraces
- Visit the Roosevelt Arch, which was the main entrance when the park opened.
- Go to Norris Geyser Basin and see a large collection of thermal features
- See the mud pots and hot springs at Artist Paintpots
- Visit the largest high-elevation lake at Yellowstone Lake, which offers boating and paddling
We enjoyed the wildlife of Yellowstone as much as all the incredible thermal features. These elk seemed to be used to everybody admiring them all day long! The park is filled with wildlife that is wonderful to view. This park should be on everyone’s bucket list!
Size of Park
2.22 Million acres
Yellowstone National Park is a super volcano and about half of the world’s hydrothermal features are found here.
Getting to the Park
The closest airport to Yellowstone National Park is the West Yellowstone Airport (WYS) and is 35 miles from the park entrance. There is also the Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport in Bozeman, Montana, which is about 90 minutes to the north entrance. Another option is the Jackson Hole Airport (JAC), which is between the entrances to Grand Teton and Yellowstone, if visiting both parks.
Explore another National Park in the USA
We’ve visited 51 of the 63 parks. Check out our other guides.