Mountains are earth’s undecaying monuments.Nathaniel Hawthorne
About the Park
Rocky Mountain National Park marks the eastern edge of the Southern Rocky Mountains in Colorado. This magnificent park has dozens of peaks that exceed 12,000 feet in elevation. The park also contains the Continental Divide, which runs through the center of the park. The nearest city is Estes Park, Colorado, near the east entrance.
Check out the view from the park!
Live it up!
Best Things to do in the Park
- Hiking some of the 355 miles of trails to see elk, lakes, and amazing mountain views
- Go to Bear Lake for a scenic walk around an alpine lake
- Drive the 48-mile long Trail Ridge Road from Estes Park to Grand Lake. Be sure to watch for sheep and elk, along with stopping at great viewpoints like Forest Canyon Overlook.
- Go see Alberta Falls for great waterfall views
- See herds of elk in Moraine Park
This experience was a great visit to Rocky Mountain National Park on a Labor Day weekend. In the morning we went into the park, we woke up to lots of snow. The 17-inch snowfall was the largest ever for that early date in the season. But, we still hiked, made snow angels, and enjoyed the beauty of this mountain paradise.
Size of Park
There are 355 miles of hiking trails in the park!
Explore another National Park in the USA
We’ve visited 51 of the 63 parks. Check out our other guides.